Thursday, April 25, 2013

A Walk in the Park

A Walk in the Park
By Jose Maria Monfá


Saturday, 10am. Allegedly, the coldest March in Britain since 1962.

Somehow, my deluded self is plotting a way out. Off it goes the text message:

-Morning Antonio. It´s snowing heavily. Should we leave it for another time?
-Chema, the Lions go out whether it hails, snows or thunderstorms. Un abrazo.

I suspect the pints last night might have clouded my judgement. The hint that catching
a cold today won’t assist the severe training we are all meant to keep up clearly
backfired. I should have known better.

Two hours later, as I returned fully covered in mud, I realized I had completely lost
the sense of time. The Heath was spectacular, all white and silent; the extreme cold,
and the concentration required to control the slippery bike and prevent my skull from
crashing, did blurred to that. It was definitely the most refreshing exercise I had in a
while, and all I needed was a subtle nudge.

So, indebted as I am, I thought I´d provide my own nudge to you all to keep up the
motivation levels. In the second part of the article, I’d share my top five inspirational
moments in cycling history. And if that doesn’t work, we can always return to the
classics.

If you can't see the video, click here.